So it has been around 4 months since my last entry and a lot has happened since then. First and foremost I completed the interviews at both the University of Utah and Regis University. I was very nervous for my interview at the University of Utah because it was my first interview for grad school, and my future depended on how i performed in the interview. If you refer to my post titled "Industriousness" you will know that I am a firm believer that if you put in the hard work and prepare yourself as much as possible then good things will happen, not by luck, but because you deserve it. So with that said, prior to my Interview at the University of Utah I was putting in work. I was constantly going to their website to research about the specifics of the physical therapy program and the school in general so i could be familiar with the strengths of the University and be able to come up with answers as to why I wanted to attend there (because that is a obvious question that will be asked). Additionally, I am very lucky to have a very supportive family/friends. Knowing that I was stressing out about these interviews each one of my closest family members reached out to help in there own way. My sister came through the most for me. She took it upon herself to meet me at the library twice before the interview to play the role as the interviewer. We printed off a sheet that had the typical questions that are asked at a graduate school interview and practiced them. What that did for me was tremendous. I was able to hear the questions and more importantly be able to provide an answer out loud so I could hear it myself and also get feedback from my sister. Definitely the most valuable effort spent in my preparation. Thanks again Marnie. My mother also helped in a similar way. Since I am living with my mother she was constantly hearing my concerns about the interview, my thoughts on the whole Physical Therapy field, my reasons why I wanted to be a PT etc. Being a mom she would do her part, and just listen. This is something that only moms can do so well, and by her listening she was able to provide me with valuable self confidence and help with specific worries I had. Thanks mom. My dad and step-mom didn't fall short in their importance either. They have both been a part of insurance there entire adult life and my father is also a very successful project manager. Together they were both able to inform me about the downsides of the Physical Therapy field through an insurance point of view (which was asked about in both interviews by the way). By giving me real life examples of the troubles a physical therapist has when dealing with people of certain motives depending on their insurance and workers comp benefits I was able to answer the more difficult interview questions with more then just a complete bull shit answer, more like a 50% bull shit answer. At the end of the day all I needed was to be able to provide an answer showing that I was aware of the downsides of the field. Thank you Dad and Marlene. I almost forget to mention my friends and co workers, that also provided me with valuable information and insight whenever I asked for it. Thank you friends and co workers.
Eventually I got acceptance letters from both schools and thus the hardest decision of my life thus far needed to be made. Which school to go to? They are both ranked in the top 30 schools in the entire country. Each school will give me more then adequate skills to be a successful therapist, but which school is the perfect fit for me? This is the question that led to about two weeks of sleepless nights, irritability, and deep thought. For those of you that were around me at this time you know all of this too well. In the end I decided to attend Regis University. Well two days earlier I was 100% sure that I was going to the University of Utah. Another example of the indecisiveness i had at this point. I realized that the only reason I wanted to go to the University of Utah is because it was cheaper. Not a good enough reason. Regis is by far the better fit for me and i realized that after i acknowledged the fact that Utah was only in consideration because of the money issue. I do not want to make money be my driving force for any decision in the future so i decided to start now and chose life over money. Denver, among many other things, will provide me with my own Independence, which is something I personally can't put a price tag on. Anyways, I will begin school in Late August and be moving to Denver around mid-august. Until then I will try to relax and take advantage of my free time as much as possible before I dive back into the books.
"You are not the only person with good ideas. If you want to be heard, listen. Always seek to find the best way rather than insisting on your own way", a random quote from John Wooden that i found interesting.
No comments:
Post a Comment